The Lord's Prayer

>> Monday, April 19, 2010

Matthew 6:9b–13 (KJV):
9b Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.


This prayer is called the Lord's prayer, but it is actually meant for the disciples. The disciples had been with Jesus, and He was praying. And when He finished, they said to Him, "teach us, Lord, how to pray."

I cannot say “Our”,

if I lived in a water tight spiritual compartment;

if I think a special place in heaven is reserved for my denomination


I cannot say “Father”,

if I do not demonstrate the relationship in my daily life.


I cannot say “which art in Heaven”;

if I am so occupied with the earth that I am laying treasure there.


I cannot say “Hallowed be thy name”,

if I, who am called by His name, am not Holy.


I cannot say “Thy Kingdom come”,

if I am not doing all in my strength and His power to hasten its coming.


I cannot say “Thy will be done”,

if I am questioning, resentful of or disobedient to His will for me.


I cannot say “on earth as it is in Heaven”,

if I am not prepared to devote my life here to His service.


I cannot say “Give us this day our daily bread”,

if I’m living on past experiences.


I cannot say “forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us”,

if I harbor a grudge against anyone.


I cannot say “lead us not into temptation”,

if I deliberately place myself, or remain in a position where I am likely to be tempted.


I cannot say “Deliver us from evil”,

if I am not prepared to fight in the spiritual realm with the weapon of prayer.


I cannot say “Thine is the Kingdom”,

if I do not accord the King the disciplined obedience of a loyal subject.


I cannot say “Thine is the power”,

if I fear what men may do; or what my neighbor may think.


I cannot say “Thine is the glory”,
if I am seeking glory for myself.


I cannot say “Forever and forever”,

if my horizons is bounded by things of time.


I cannot say “Amen”,

if I do not also add, “Cos what it may,” for to say this prayer will cost EVERYTHING.

0 comments:

  © 2010. Share the Good News. All Rights Reserved. Sunset Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP