Doing the Gospel

>> Tuesday, April 27, 2010

“ Doing the Gospel”
a sermon book by James Bjorge


I’d rather see a sermon than hear one any day
I’d rather one should walk with me than merely tell me the way
The eye’s a better pupil and more willing than the ear
Fine counseling is confusing but example’s always clear
And the best of all the preachers are the ones who live their creeds
For to see good put in action is what everybody needs

I soon can learn to do it if you’ll let me see it
I can watch your hands in actions, but your tongue too fast may run
And the lecture you deliver may be wise and true
But I’d rather get lessons by observing what you do
For I might misunderstand you and the high advice you give
But there is no misunderstanding how you act and how you live

When I see a deed of kindness, I am eager to be kind
When a weaker brother stumbles and a strong man stays behind
Just to see if he can help him, then the wish grows strong in me
To become as big as thoughtful as I know that friend to be
And all travelers can witness that the best of the guides today
Is no the one who tells them but the one who shows the way

One good person teaches many, people believe what they behold
One deed of kindness noticed is worth forty told
Who stands with men of honour learns to hold his honour dear
For right living speaks a language which to everyone is clear
Though an able speaker charms with his eloquence I say
I’d rather see a sermon than hear one, any day.

0 comments:

  © 2010. Share the Good News. All Rights Reserved. Sunset Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP